Tom Little, R.I.P.
Tom Little, R.I.P.
Two Thursdays ago as I got home from work, I was uncharacteristically thoughtful enough to check the messages on my land line phone, something I never do in a timely manner these days. There were several worried messages from John, a man I've never met, asking if I may know the whereabouts of his work partner Tom, my friend and neighbor down the block. I quickly called Tom’s cell and called John back to confirm that Tom was not answering and that I should probably go knock on his door and use the spare keys he gave me to feed the cats on occasions that he's out of town. Checking in on his apartment was the right thing to do, but it knocked the wind out of me. It is the closest I’ve ever been (or ever hope to be) to a dead body. I don't think it is so much the discovery of a dead friend that hurts a person as not knowing how to react and the subsequent embarrassment at not having reacted the way you think you ought to have. I got the hell out of that apartment quickly and nearly fell down the stairs, called John, called 911 and waited.
Tom was one of those people you'd be sure is going to live forever. At 50, I would have bet you he was going to out-live me. I'd see him coming back from the gym with a serious workout sweat and know that I will never be as healthy when I'm that age.
Tom and I shared an off-beat sense of humor, an interest in art and the life of the city. We hadn’t really known each other all that long, we met through our friend Jack who knows everybody in the art world and used to work with Tom at Brand X, the print shop that most famously produces the Chuck Close silk screens that hand in museums and art galleries all over the world. I was in awe of him and his devotion to his friends and family, most particularly his sons, Travis and Sam.
That night was hell and I am still not over the shock. I’ve been able to talk to his family and that made me feel better – at least giving me the sense that I’d done all I could do. The cause of death is still not known and with the increased death toll from the heat wave, the medical examiner isn’t very interested in trying to solve the mystery – it was heat related, case closed.
I was obsessed with trying to get his cats out of the apartment, but they ran and hid and the first sign of a cat carrier. They are safe now at Brand X where they can be taken care of, at least for a little while.
Goodbye Tom, I plan to have more dinners at the little bistro in LIC we discovered. And I’ll think of you.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home